For public transportation, check: www.gvb.nl/english
For trains: www.ns.nl
For an interactive map of the city: www.amsterdam.info/map
Weather forecasts: http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/06240.htm
Amsterdam is a popular tourist destination, and accomodation in spring is in very high demand. For this reason we strongly recommend that you book your accommodation as soon as you decide to attend the Wallis Symposium.
The organization recommends the following hotels close to the venue of the conference:
* The Asterisk hotel: http://www.asteriskhotel.nl/. Prices are between 50 and 80 Euros per night.
* The Eden Lancaster hotel: http://www.edenlancasterhotel.com/overview.aspx. Prices between 100 and 110 per night.
* The NH Doelen hotel: http://www.nh-hotels.nl/nh/nl/hotels/nederland/amsterdam/nh-doelen.html. Prices between 125 and 145 Euros per night.
* Eureka Hotel: http://www.amsterdamhouse.com/.
There are also a couple of hostels (with shared dorm).
* There is a Stayokay hostel in the east of Amsterdam (Stayokay hostel Amsterdam Zeeburg): http://www.stayokay.com/index.php?pageID=3207&hostelID=356023
* There is another Stayokay hostel next to Vondelpark: www.stayokay.com/index.php?pageID=3207&hostelID=356022
The prices are similar.
For hostels, you may find useful information on www.hostels.com
For more information about accommodation in Amsterdam, you can consult the Amsterdam Tourist Board or online booking sites such as Booking.com
The following website has dinner suggestions and reviews: